Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) are an excellent way to direct traffic to your Shopify store. Your store has a higher chance of reaching your target audience when it has high visibility on SERPs. However, there are millions of web pages and eCommerce stores online, many of which targeting the same audience as your store – making the fight for high visibility on SERPs quite competitive. Fortunately, there are a few ways you can improve your store’s ranking on search engine results pages, allowing you to reach a larger audience and attract more customers.
#1: Use the Right Keywords
Keyword research is among the most important factors of search engine optimization. When your store and content include the right keywords, your site will garner more visibility on search engine results pages.
- Use Amazon to research long-tail keywords for your products. Enter your product keyword into Amazon’s search bar, and take note of the autofill suggestions it shows. These suggestions make excellent long-tail keywords – use them for the products on your store in order to improve your SERP rankings.
- Conduct research with Google’s Keyword Planner. This tool allows you to search niches and potential keywords to see which keywords and phrases have the best potential. You’ll see how many people are searching for your selected keywords, so you can make an informed decision on which to use for your store.
- Use SEMRush to see which keywords are performing well for your competitors. Input keywords your competitors are using (that apply to your business as well) and take note of how they perform. Use the keywords which perform best to improve your store’s SERP visibility.
#2: Improve Your Website
Certain site improvements can mean a world of difference for your SERP ranking. Search engine algorithms pay attention to certain site factors to determine how well they pertain to user searches – websites with the following tend to perform the best in the eye’s of the algorithms:
- Optimized images with appropriate tags
- Internal linking
- Few site errors
- Accurate title tags and meta descriptions
#3: Use Excellent Content for Your Products
Your products are the meat and potatoes of your store, and they’ll play a major role in your store’s SERP visibility. When your product pages contain valuable content, they’ll appear more on SERPs for related searches.
- Use detailed and unique product descriptions with images and targeted keywords.
- Ask your customers for reviews and other user generated content (UGC) in order to beef up your product pages – UGC is very valuable to your shoppers, and it will help your SERP visibility as well.
- Avoid using duplicate content. Google’s algorithms will punish you for using duplicate content, so don’t be tempted to use it as part of your marketing strategy.
#4: Social Media is Essential
Add social media sharing buttons to your product pages and content to promote social exposure. In addition, your store should have its own presence on social media – the more present your store is on social media, the more pages you have to display when people search for your brand. Instead of showing just your store, search engines will show your Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Google My Business pages as well.
#5: Link Building is Crucial
Search engine ranking algorithms have always put a high priority on backlinks. Build a database of links in order to rank more highly on SERPs:
- Use product reviews to connect with other stores and bloggers. Review their products on your blog, and ask influencers to review yours – linking back to your site or product.
- Offer your products to YouTube influencers, asking them to do a video review. Video reviews are very helpful to your shopper, and they can help improve your store’s SERP ranking by adding another backlink to your list.
#6: Keep Obsolete Products in Check
In order to attract customers, you’ll need to sell products they want to buy. Shoppers are looking for last year’s product as much as this year’s, meaning you won’t appeal to most searches by selling old products. Most manufacturers release updated versions of products as time passes, making certain products obsolete with time. You may have some of these obsolete products in your store, but there are ways you can use them to promote newer or better products without removing them:
- Redirect your shoppers to another product page when they reach an obsolete product. If you have the iPhone 4 listed in your store, redirect shoppers to iPhone 4 accessories or a newer iPhone if they reach the outdated product’s page. You can do the same for expired products you no longer sell.
- Re-use your URLs for new products. By using the URLs of old products for new products, your customers will automatically be directed to the newer, more updated product.
- Delete the product’s page entirely. Very few people are searching for the iPhone 4 compared to the iPhone 7, so you’re not reaching much of your target audience by keeping the iPhone 4’s product page. Instead, invest your resources into promoting the newest iPhone and you’ll reach a bigger audience.
What are your tips for improving your eCommerce store’s SERP visibility? Are there any other SEO tips we missed? Let us know in the comments below!