Shopping online has come a very long way from where it began. Traditionally, online stores feature pictures and detailed descriptions of products on their pages, but the past few years have seen the boom of “product videos” in eCommerce. Product videos come in many shapes and sizes, but they all share the same goal: to show your customers how they can use your products.
Why Should You Use Social Media Videos for Your Product Pages?
Videos are the most successful form of media online, particularly on social media. YouTube currently holds the title for “largest video database” online, with over 500 hours of content uploaded every minute of every day. Companies are recognizing the immense potential of YouTube and online video – in fact, studies show that YouTube videos play a role in 53 percent of shoppers’ decisions to purchase a product. In addition, 49 percent of shopper reported that they search YouTube for information about a product before making a purchase.
Video marketing is very powerful, but you must choose the right videos to represent your products and brand. Your videos must be high-quality, informative, and entertaining if you want them to help your customer’s decision-making process. There are many benefits to using videos from YouTube and social media instead of creating your own:
- Creating videos takes time and money. Huge companies can afford to hire a team of content creators to publish content about their products, but the equipment, software, and skills necessary to do so are usually outside the budget of small, independently-owned business. When you use videos from social media, you don’t have to spend time and money on video production.
- Videos give your brand social proof. If a popular YouTuber reviews one of your products and responds positively, it helps build your brand’s “social proof.” Shoppers are more likely to believe videos created by consumers like themselves than videos created by the companies that sell products. They want to know that other shoppers have purchased the product and enjoyed it, and videos from social media provide the peace of mind they need.
- You can create a more personal relationship with your shoppers. Videos allow companies to connect with their audience in a way that photos and descriptions cannot. When shoppers watch videos of products, they feel more in-touch with the brand. This creates a personal relationship between your company and your shoppers, making them more likely to convert.
How to Search for the Perfect Product Videos
You have to choose the right videos to represent your product, meaning you’ll have to conduct the right searches.
- Use simple search terms. When you use simple search terms, you’ll be rewarded with a larger pool of videos to choose from on YouTube’s results page.
- Know your influencers. Every niche has influencers online, representing top brands and popular products. Look for influencers in your niche who have an audience and a reputation for honesty. If you’re selling popular products, there’s a great chance major influencers have already created content for your product.
- Search for new content. Use updated content for your product pages. Fresh content is more reliable in the eyes of the viewer, and it may highlight changes to your product that weren’t present when older videos were published.
Choosing the Right Product Videos for Your Brand
After you’ve conducted your search, you have to know what to look for in product videos. In order for your product videos to have an impact on your conversion rates, they must be informative, entertaining, and convincing. In order to choose the right video for your product page:
- Search for videos you believe will positively represent your brand. Low-quality videos with poor content won’t do you or your brand any favors. Instead, take the time to find videos that you’ll be proud to feature on your product pages.
- Choose videos with the right style and tone. Your product videos should represent your brand’s personality, as well as appeal to your audience. People like to see consumers like themselves in product videos, so choose videos that your target audience can relate to.
- Select videos of the right length. This will largely depend on the products you are selling. If the product requires a lot of setup, your videos will be longer than average – however, many other products only need 3-8 minutes to explain and review. Your audience won’t watch a 30-minute video explaining one simple product, so keep length in mind when choosing videos.
What are your tips for choosing the right product videos? Where do you find your product videos online? Let us know in the comments below!