Most marketers are happy with open rates between 18-20%. But for Melanie Balke, a marketing consultant specializing in ecommerce, available rates any lower than 40% means there’s a huge opportunity.
And it starts with segmentation. The problem is that most people need help figuring out where to begin regarding segmentation.
They get so overwhelmed that they keep firing off emails to their entire list.
Get our best content on ecommerce marketing in your inbox two times a week
But your buyers are in different stages…
Just think about how you interact with people in your personal life. What you share with your closest friends is entirely different than what you share with acquaintances.
When you start to think about your customers that way, your open rates will be higher, and your conversion rate will increase too.
Because you’ll be sharing hyper-relevant messages with the people getting them, we asked Melanie to share how she thinks about segmentation and interacting with customers.
Please feel free to tune in below.👇 You get your podcasts on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or anywhere.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Melanie’s playbook for working with influencers.
- Why you should shoot for 40% open rates with your emails.
- How to use email and text messaging together.
- How to calculate what you should be spending on ads.
What to listen for:
- [2:04] The most significant mistakes she sees ecommerce marketers making.
- [7:45] Tips for getting unique content for social.
- [10:03] How to find influencers.
- [12:40] How to pitch influencers.
- [13:55] Why a 40% open rate is Melanie’s target for every email she sends?
- [19:40] The best way to use text messages.
- [26:27] How to start with segmentation.
- [28:06] Knowing what to spend on ads.
- [31:56] Why your creativity is the most crucial aspect of your ads.
- [34:18] How to test creativity before putting any budget behind it.
Links to love👇👇
This article originally appeared in the Privy blog and has been published here with permission.