Shopify is a leading eCommerce platform that has helped numerous businesses set up and run online stores. However, like any other digital platform, it is possible to lose data on Shopify for various reasons.
This can be a nightmare for any business owner who relies on Shopify to manage their online store. Fortunately, recovering deleted Shopify data is possible, and this guide will show you how to retrieve exported CSV files in case of data loss.
Understanding What Data Can Be Recovered
Before retrieving deleted Shopify data, it is essential to understand what information can be recovered. Shopify stores different types of data, including orders, sales, customer, and product information. All these data are crucial to the smooth operation of an online store, and losing any of them can be detrimental to a business.
Orders are the backbone of any eCommerce store, and the loss of this data can result in delayed shipments, unsatisfied customers, and lost revenue. On the other hand, sales data is essential for tracking an online store's performance and making informed decisions. Customer data, including contact information and purchase history, is vital for building customer relationships and providing personalized shopping experiences. Finally, product information, including descriptions, prices, and images, is necessary for showcasing products to potential customers.
Exporting Data from Shopify as a CSV File
One of the most effective ways of safeguarding against data loss on Shopify is by regularly exporting data as a CSV file. CSV stands for Comma-Separated Values, a standard file format for storing tabular data. Exporting data from Shopify as a CSV file allows you to have a backup copy of your information that can be easily retrieved in case of data loss.
To export data from Shopify as a CSV file, follow these simple steps:
- Log in to your Shopify account and navigate to the admin panel.
- Click on the ‘Settings' tab on the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
- Select ‘Export' from the dropdown menu.
- Choose the type of data you want to export (orders, customers, products, etc.).
- Set the date range for the data you want to export.
- Click on ‘Export' and wait for the file to be generated.
- Download the file to your computer and store it in a safe location.
Exporting data as a CSV file is a simple process that can save you a lot of stress and headaches in case of data loss.
Reasons for Data Loss in Shopify
Data loss can occur in Shopify due to various reasons, including human error, system failures, and cyber-attacks. Human error is the most common cause of data loss and can occur when users accidentally delete data or make changes that lead to data corruption. System failures, such as hardware or software crashes, can also result in data loss. Cyber-attacks, including hacking and malware infections, can compromise an online store's security and lead to data loss.
Steps to Take When Data Is Accidentally Deleted in Shopify
Accidental deletion of data is common in Shopify, and it can be stressful when it happens. However, there are steps you can take to retrieve the deleted data. The first and most crucial step is to stop using the system immediately to prevent overwriting the deleted data. Continuing to use the system can make it difficult or even impossible to recover the data.
Once you have stopped using the system, you can attempt to recover the deleted data by restoring from a backup or using data recovery software. If you exported the data as a CSV file, you could import it back into Shopify. If you do not have a backup or an exported CSV file, you can use data recovery software to attempt to retrieve the deleted data.
List of Data Recovery Software That Can Get the Job Done
Numerous data recovery software is available in the market, and choosing the right one can be overwhelming. Below is a list of data recovery software to help you retrieve deleted Shopify data. Here the list of data recovery software that can get the job done:
- Handy Recovery
- Disk Drill
- Pandora Recovery
- MiniTool Power Data Recovery
- Ontrack EasyRecovery
This data recovery software have different features and capabilities, and choosing the one that suits your needs best is essential.
Most Effective Hard Drive Recovery Software for Shopify Data
Sometimes, the deleted Shopify data may be on a failed hard drive or become inaccessible. Recovering data from a failed hard drive requires specialized data recovery software to handle complex data recovery operations. Some of the most effective hard drive recovery software for Shopify data include:
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
- Ontrack EasyRecovery
This hard drive recovery software have been tested and proven to recover data from failed hard drives.
How to Recover Deleted Shopify Data Using Data Recovery Software
Recovering deleted Shopify data using data recovery software is a straightforward process that involves the following steps:
- Download and install the data recovery software that you have chosen.
- Connect the affected hard drive to your computer.
- Launch the data recovery software and select the hard drive that contains the deleted data.
- Select the type of data you want to recover (orders, sales data, customer data, products, etc.).
- Wait for the software to scan the hard drive and display the recoverable data.
- Select the deleted data you want to recover and click the ‘Recover' button.
- Choose a location to save the recovered data and wait for the software to complete the recovery process.
It is essential to note that data recovery using software is not always successful, and in some cases, it may not be possible to recover the deleted data.
Best Practices for Preventing Data Loss in Shopify
Preventing data loss is always better than recovering lost data. Below are some of the best practices for preventing data loss in Shopify:
- Regularly backup data using the export function in Shopify.
- Use a trusted antivirus and anti-malware software to protect the system against cyber-attacks.
- Train users on how to use the system correctly and avoid accidental deletion of data.
- Use a reliable hosting provider that offers data backup and recovery services.
- Implement a disaster recovery plan that outlines the steps to take in case of data loss.
Implementing these best practices can help you prevent data loss and ensure the smooth operation of your online store.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
Data loss can be a significant setback for any business that relies on Shopify to manage their online store. However, recovering deleted Shopify data is possible using data recovery software. It is essential to understand what data can be recovered, export data regularly as a CSV file, and implement best practices for preventing data loss. In case of data loss, take immediate action to stop using the system, attempt to restore from a backup, and use data recovery software if necessary. With these measures in place, you can safeguard against data loss and ensure the smooth operation of your online store.