On the precipice of a busy holiday season, consumers are on heightened alert for porch piracy — or the theft of packages or parcels that are delivered to residential doorsteps.
At Route, we’re protecting, insuring and offsetting millions of ecommerce orders per year, for thousands of merchants and consumers, so we have unique visibility into porch piracy trends.
Accordingly, we’ve conducted a comprehensive analysis of 200 million ecommerce orders to identify the cities where porch piracy is making a significant impact. The data underscores the urgency of addressing porch piracy, a threat that not only compromises the post-purchase experience but also cost consumers an astonishing $20 billion last year alone.
These cities have unfortunately earned their spots on our list based on the per capita incidence of package theft. For 2023, the five cities with the worst porch piracy per capita are:
- Miami, FL
- Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Birmingham, AL
- St. Louis, MO
- Atlanta, GA
Why does this matter? Porch piracy is more than just a nuisance; it’s a pervasive issue that impacts consumers’ trust in the online shopping experience. As we approach the holiday season, the frequency of package deliveries tends to skyrocket, making it an opportune time for porch pirates to strike. This report serves as a wake-up call for consumers to be vigilant and take proactive measures to safeguard their deliveries.
Thankfully, there are steps that consumers can take to mitigate theft. These include:
- Schedule Deliveries Wisely: Opt for delivery times when you’re home or use delivery services that allow you to choose specific time slots.
- Utilize Secure Delivery Locations: Consider having packages delivered to your workplace or a trusted neighbor if you’re unable to receive them personally.
- Install Security Measures: Invest in home security cameras or doorbell cameras to deter porch pirates and provide evidence in case of theft.
- Use Package Lockboxes: Consider installing lockboxes on your porch or using community-based package lockers for added security.
- Track Your Packages: Stay informed about your deliveries through real-time tracking to anticipate their arrival and minimize the time packages spend unattended. Download Route’s app to get simple updates here, no matter the carrier.
As a safety net, it’s advisable to protect your purchases by opting into package protection. However, consumers must exercise caution, as numerous companies pose as insurers without proper licensing and regulation. Selecting a verified insurance provider such as Route will ensure you are covered, no matter what happens.
Route is committed to not only highlighting the problem but also providing practical solutions. Here’s to a happy and theft-free holiday season.