If you're looking to hire a Shopify developer, you'll want to ask the right questions to get a sense of their skills and experience. This article will outline 8 questions you should ask during a job interview with a potential Shopify developer. By asking these questions, you will better understand their abilities and see if they are the right fit for your business.
Skills to Look for in a Shopify Developer
If you're looking for a Shopify developer to help you create or improve your online store, there are certain skills and qualities that you should look for. Here are ten of the most important:
- A Shopify developer should be good at programming languages like Ruby and Rails, Liquid, and PHP. Sometimes the developer should understand C++, especially when one wants to create products that are hard to do in other languages. In addition to knowing the above languages, you should also test their skills to ensure they are good at them. For example, you can ask them to take the test for c++ programming to prove their capability to create small algorithms that can do various tasks.
- A good Shopify developer will have a strong understanding of the platform and how it works. They should be able to explain things in layman's terms and help you troubleshoot any issues you may have.
- They should also be up-to-date on the latest features and changes to the platform, so they can help you make the most of its potential.
- A good Shopify developer will be able to take your ideas and turn them into a reality. They should have experience building custom themes and apps and be able to work with you to create a unique and user-friendly store.
- They should also be able to help you optimize your store for search engines so that potential customers can easily find it when they're looking for what you sell.
- A good Shopify developer will have excellent communication skills. They should be able to understand your needs and explain their solutions clearly. This is especially important if you're working with someone remotely.
- They should also be responsive to your questions and concerns and quickly resolve any issues that may arise during the development process.
- A good Shopify developer will be proactive in their approach to your project. They should keep you updated on their progress and provide regular feedback.
- They should also be willing to go the extra mile to ensure that your project is a success. This may include testing your store on different devices and browsers or providing additional support after launch.
- A good Shopify developer will have a strong understanding of eCommerce and how it works. They should be able to advise you on the best way to set up your store and make sure it runs smoothly.
If you're looking for someone to help you create or improve your online store, these are the ten skills and qualities you should look for in a Shopify developer.
Interview Questions to Ask a Shopify Developer
If you're looking to hire a Shopify developer, it's important to ask the right questions to ensure you make the best decision for your business. So, what should you ask when interviewing a potential Shopify developer? Read on to find out.
1. What Inspired You to Choose Shopify as Your Area of Specialization?
When interviewing Shopify developers, ask what inspired them to specialize in this platform. As with any profession, many different paths can lead to becoming a Shopify developer. Some developers may have started out as generalists and found a particular affinity for Shopify. Others may have been drawn to the platform because of its flexibility and ease of use.
By asking this question, you'll not only get a sense of the developer's background and experience, but you'll also be able to gauge their passion for the platform. And as we all know, passionate developers are often the most successful.
2) Have You Had Any Experience Building or Working With Shopify Themes? If So, Could You Share a Little Bit About That Experience With Us?
Before you hire a Shopify developer, it's important to ask about their experience with Shopify themes. A good developer will have experience building and working with Shopify themes, and they should be able to share some insights about the process.
In particular, you should ask about the developer's experience with Shopify's theme development tools and their thoughts on the best way to develop a Shopify theme. Additionally, it's helpful to know if the developer has tips on optimizing a Shopify theme for performance and conversion. By asking these questions, you'll get a better sense of whether or not the developer is a good fit for your project.
3) What Challenges Have You Faced With Shopify Development, and How Did You Overcome Them?
Be sure to ask about any challenges they faced when developing Shopify websites. This will give you insight into their problem-solving abilities and how they handle difficult situations. It will also give you an idea of the challenges you may face when working with this developer.
Be sure to listen carefully to their answers and ask follow-up questions if necessary. Once you understand their past experiences, you will better decide if they are the right Shopify developer for your needs.
4) What Are Some of the Most Exciting Projects You’ve Worked on Using Shopify
It's important to ask the developer about their experience with the platform. Shopify is a powerful tool, but it can be challenging for some projects. By asking the developer about their previous experience, you can see whether they would be a good fit for your project. Some things to ask about include:
They are likely a good candidate if they have extensive experience with Shopify and can overcome challenges. However, if they struggled with using Shopify or faced significant challenges when working on complex projects, then you may want to reconsider using them for your project.
5) Do You Have Any Coding or Development Experience Outside of Shopify (e.g., PHP, Ruby on Rails)? How Does That Experience Translate to Your Work With Shopify Specifically?
Before you hire a developer to work on your Shopify project, it's important to ask about their experience with other coding languages. While many Shopify developers have experience with popular coding languages like PHP, Ruby, and Rails, some may only be experienced in Shopify's Liquid programming language.
If your project requires expertise in a specific coding language that the developer isn't familiar with, it's important to know this upfront so you can decide if they're the right fit for the job.
By asking about the developer's experience with other coding languages, you can get a better sense of their skillset and whether or not they have the ability to complete your project successfully.
6) What Features of Shopify Do You Think To Make It Stand Out From Other Ecommerce Platforms?
Any business owner looking to set up an online store should ask the developer what features of Shopify they think will make it stand out from other ecommerce platforms. While there are many ecommerce platforms available, not all of them are created equal.
By asking the developer about the features that make Shopify stand out, business owners can be sure that they are making the best decision for their needs, and the developer understands the ins and outs of the platform.
7) We’re Looking for a Proactive Developer Who Takes Ownership of Their Work – Can You Tell Us About a Time When You Went Above, and Beyond To Solve a Problem or Completed a Project Ahead of Schedule?
Any developer should be proactive in their approach to work, continually looking for ways to improve the quality of their products and services. One key indicator of a proactive developer is their willingness to take on additional tasks or responsibilities outside their job specification to complete a project ahead of schedule. This demonstrates a strong work ethic and a dedication to meeting their client's needs.
Furthermore, a proactive developer will always look for ways to add value to their work, whether finding new ways to streamline processes or developing innovative solutions to problems.
As such, asking about a developer's proactivity is a good way to gauge their abilities and attitude. It is an important question to ask when selecting a Shopify developer for your project.
8) Do You Have Any Questions for Me About the Project or Our Company
It is always important to ask the developer if they have any questions regarding the project or company. If they ask questions, it shows that they are interested in the role and the company, which means they would like some clarification about the project.
Asking questions also demonstrates their analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as their ability to communicate effectively. It also shows a sign of professionalism and respect for both the interviewer and the company, and it is an essential part of the interview process.
You now have a good foundation of questions to ask when interviewing Shopify developers. Remember, the more you know about their experience and process, the better equipped you will be to make an informed decision about who to work with. Interviewing potential candidates is just one step in finding the perfect ecommerce partner for your business.