Did you know there are a whopping 2,297 million active websites that are using Shopify in 2021?
Yet, research shows that the success rates of Shopify stores are between 5% and 10%. So why do some businesses generate millions of dollars, while the majority of sellers struggle to reach the break-even point?
Does this resonate with you? And do you want to increase sales this year? Or if you just started out, and you want to speed up the growth of your business? So you’ll be ahead of your competition.
Well, I’ve got your back. Because today you’ll get your hands on a proven and tested framework on how to write a killer product description.
So if you want to sell more, generate more traffic and double the conversion rate. Then this step-by-step process is a must-read for you!
Step 1. Get inside the mind of your ideal customers
What if I told you that research is 80% of the work? Yes, it’s true, 80% of writing a killer product description is doing your research and 20% is writing. Here’s why…
- You HAVE TO know what the desires and problems are of your ideal customer. In order to sell a lot, you must have a product description that resonates with your audience. Doing proper research will skyrocket your results AND the writing becomes easier.
- Research helps you create a crystal-clear vision of WHY your product is different than competitors. As a result, you’ll be able to stand out from the competition and your conversion rate will explode!
- The more you understand what keeps your ideal customer awake, the better able you will be to describe how your product will solve their problem. As a result, your sales will skyrocket!
How to get inside the customers’ mind
If you want to transform readers into buying customers, you must have a crystal-clear vision of who you’re speaking to and what their desires are. While most marketers tell you to focus on demographic and psychographic data. I want to challenge you to dig deeper.
Here are 6 questions you must answer to get inside the mind of your ideal customer.
- Who is your customer? (age, beliefs, gender, etc)
- What are their hopes and dreams?
- What are their victories and failures when it comes to trying to solve their #1 pain point?
- What solutions is the market already using? (List out)
- What does the market like about existing solutions?
- What does the market dislike about existing solutions?
If you can answer these questions, then you are miles in front of all your competitors. Because you know precisely what your customer needs and what language to use in your product description to persuade them.
To answer these questions, you have to do proper research. If you have found a way how to do your research. That’s fine, use it! If you’re new to this game or want to use the techniques that experts are using? Then try to do this…
- Explore Amazon reviews from competing products and try to find out what problems and wishes your potential clients have. View the 5-star and 1-star reviews and document what customers are saying. To simplify the process, focus on just 1 product that is similar to yours with the most reviews.
- Talk to your existing customers. If you already have customers, get on the phone and talk to them. The better you communicate with existing clients, the better you’ll understand your ideal client.
- Discover niche-specific conversations in order to know what happens in your niche. There are forum threads on EVERYTHING and people tend to overshare, so you get a lot of information. And you’ll learn the language of your market.
Pro tip: Document every detail you find during your research in a Google doc file. So you’ll be able to review all your findings when you’re writing the content.
Step 2. Stand out with a killer headline
Now you have done proper research, it’s time to start writing.
You have one chance to convince your potential customers to buy your product or to keep scrolling. A killer headline that grasps attention will make the difference between selling nothing and selling out.
Here’s is a have a proven and tested framework to boost your conversion. This framework has helped entrepreneurs sell products worth millions of dollars.
Capture attention with captivating hooks
In marketing and copywriting, a hook is exactly what it sounds like. It is a concept or idea that hooks the attention of your audience. There are a lot of ways to capture the attention of the audience. Here are 3 hooks you can use today to boost your conversion rates.
- Mechanism: This hook focuses on a unique solution, approach, method, feature, or system that makes your product faster, simpler, and better than your competitors. So what unique solution does your product have?
- Novelty: If you have something brand new or never seen before. Then the novelty hook is something you can use to grab attention. You can start your headline with: “The world’s first-ever …”
- Threat, Warning, Pain: With this hook, you capture attention through caution. So your product solves a specific thread, warning or pain. This hook works well because avoiding pain motivates more than gaining pleasure.
Make sure your headline describes your product. Juice them up with these hooks to create an irresistible product headline. So readers can’t ignore your product.
Step 3. A product description that sells
Remember that online shoppers don’t have the opportunity to see your product before buying it. Rather than convincing your audience to buy your product, you should describe it in a way that makes them want it.
That’s why the 1% that sells the most use this simple and effective method to stand out.
Features and Benefits
Let’s start with features. Everything that a product has, is or includes is a feature. And in modern days most people sell similar products.
So if you choose to rely on mentioning features alone. Then you’ll be soon one of the 90% of Shopify owners who fail.
Here are 3 examples of features from the iPhone 13 pro:
- All-screen OLED display with ProMotion
- Pro camera system (includes Telephoto, Wide, Ultra Wide)
- Up to 28 hours of video playback
Do these features resonate with you? The main reason why features don’t sell is that customers don’t care about them.
Instead, add benefits to enrich your features. Benefits are the reasons WHY someone purchases your product. They are results expressed in emotions because everyone understands emotions.
So instead of mentioning features, try to use benefit-rich features (Feature + Benefit). Write 3 to 5 benefit-rich bullet points and make sure they resonate with your audience.
Here are 3 improved examples of benefit-rich features from the iPhone 13 Pro:
- You can enjoy your favorite Marvel movie in the finest quality with the all-screen OLED display with ProMotion.
- You’ll never miss an opportunity to catch precious moments with your children with the Pro Camera System.
- During your 10-hour flight, watch your favorite shows without worrying about charging your phone. Your phone can play videos for up to 28 hours.
Expert tip: Use videos to show your product. Shoppers who view demo videos are 1.81 times more likely to make a sale than non-viewers.
Step 4. (Proof) read – Improve – Finish
In order to sell a lot, your product description should be quick-to-read and easy to scan through. Before you publish your product description, make sure you let someone read it to exclude all the mistakes. And use these tips to make your product description:
- Use bullet points to describe your benefit-rich features.
- Keep it short for readers.
- Use active voice instead of passive voice.
Boost your visibility with relevant keywords
If you want to succeed as an entrepreneur, always consider product description writing as part of your SEO strategy. Find niche-specific keywords to add to your copy. Use apps like Ubersuggest to find the right keywords for your content. If you know other tools, feel free to use what appeals to you.
When you’re new to SEO, here are some things to know before you do your research.
- Do not fixate on high-volume keywords to avoid too much competition.
- Focus on long-tale keywords with low competition for high-quality traffic.
- Don’t overuse keywords, you write for humans not for robots.
BONUS: 5 writing tools every successful entrepreneur uses
Did you know that even the best marketers and entrepreneurs in the world use tools? Tools make your life easier and most of them are free to use. So if you’re new in this business, don’t feel ashamed to seek help and use writing tools to improve your work.
Here is a list of apps, tools, and services that successful entrepreneurs uses to create an irresistible product description:
- Wordtune. Do you struggle with finding the right words to use in your description? Discover the exact words you have in mind with Wordtune to make your customers fall in love with your product. Using this free-to-use website helps you create compelling and authentic sentences.
- Hemingway app. Readability is one of the critical factors to succeed in selling your product. The Hemingway app helps you enhance the readability of your text. Use it to check whether your product description is too long or difficult to read.
- Yoast SEO Plugin. If you struggle with SEO, then Yoast is a must-have for you. This free plugin helps you in a step-by-step process to make your listing SEO-proof. So you don’t have to worry about your online visibility.
- Fiverr or Upwork. Did you know you can hire freelancers to do the work for you? Use these two freelance platforms to find experts in SEO, content writing, and copywriting.
Are you ready to write Killer product descriptions?
Building a successful business is not a sprint, but a marathon. So to succeed in the long run, present your product in a way it will add the most value to your customers.
No matter in what niche you sell products. If you want to succeed, you must provide as much value as possible for your clients. You can do this by sharing rich content that is relevant to your audience.
If you got any questions? Drop your questions below and I’ll answer every single one!